Friday, April 5, 2013

Thoughts of a senior student

Thoughts of a senior student-
by Michelle Isla, SM


I feel so excited to be at the tail end of my formal midwifery studies.  In some ways it feels as though it was just yesterday that I entered midwifery school and in other ways it feels like a million years ago!  So much emotional growth has taken place.  It’s what inevitably occurs when one embarks on such an intimate and intense journey.  I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.   I’m just a few short months from finishing this phase of the journey and embarking on a new beginning… the beginning of an inspiring career, economic stability for my family, and the beginning of my informal midwifery education.  The level of responsibility suddenly increases times a thousand!  It’s certainly quite a different experience to practice under someone’s guidance than to be the sole responsible midwife at a birth.  I feel prepared in many ways yet at times overwhelmed by the responsibility.  I trust the feeling will balance itself out in time. 

I’ve been so blessed to be a part of the Tree of Life family.  I came into the practice as a junior student and have gained an incredible amount of experience since then.  I’m filled with appreciation for Kaleen who agreed to take me on as a student when she already had one student and was focusing on her growing practice.  I’m sure she was hesitant to add anything extra to her daily time investment and thought process yet for some reason she agreed and I will forever be grateful for the kindness that was extended in that decision.  Who knew this would also open the flood gates of students at Tree of Life!  There are now six of us students with another one coming on later this year!  Thankfully some of us are on our way out and the others will have those same wonderful learning experiences.  I look forward to hearing their stories and offering them gentle advice on their journey.  We will all share in the experience that the journey is nothing like what we had imagined.  In many ways it is much sweeter yet much more intense than we ever thought.

As for me, you will continue to see me in clinic although not attending as many births.  It feels strange to even think of it.  I’m going to feel so deprived of that incredible birth energy we’re all addicted to!  I’ll be eagerly looking forward to the next birth.  For now, it’s time to learn a bit more about the administrative part of running a midwifery business while the other students are attending births and gaining that experience.  I will be finished with midwifery school early August and sitting for the state board examination later that month.  After that…the sky’s the limit!  One thing I know for sure is that I’ll be practicing midwifery!

No comments:

Post a Comment